Monday, April 22, 2013

Knife Block Makeover

I'm back! It has been a crazy month and I haven't had a lot of energy for crafting but I decided this would be easy (and it really was)!

Ever since I saw a picture on Pinterest (that's where I get most of my crafty ideas) of someone who had painted their knife block, I was dying to paint mine! Every time I looked at my knife block, I knew I had to paint it!

My kitchen is the most beautiful blue-ish color I have ever seen. From the moment I saw it in the big book of colors at Home Depot, I knew it was the one. My dining room is yellow ( I didn't realize it until I did this project but the yellow I picked for my dining room is the same yellow in my craft room and I picked them out at different times! I guess I just REALLY REALLY love this yellow!). Originally I thought I would paint my knife block the same blue that my kitchen is. Then I realized that it would just blend in and that's kind of boring. So then I realized that if I painted it yellow, not only would it pop, but it would also match my dining room. Even though from the kitchen you cannot see the dining room yellow, at least I know it matches!

I forgot to take a before picture before I started painting, so there is a little paint at the top, but this is what my knife block looked like before! Just a boring regular knife block:


I used a tiny paintbrush to paint around the knife openings so I didn't get paint in them and then I used a bigger brush to paint the top and a biggest brush to paint the sides, front and back!


Here's the fully painted knife block! It looks very mustardy in the picture, but trust me, it's beautiful in real life!

In the original picture, they had put their last name initial on their knife block. I'm not really a put-my-last-name-initial-all-over-everything kind of gal so I chose something funkier, which is more me!

 I have a Silhouette Cameo, which is how I cut out this fun piece on vinyl. (I love that machine!)

And here's the finished product back in the kitchen where it belongs! I love how the yellow pops out from the blue walls!
See ya soon!
Nik

No comments:

Post a Comment